6.26.2005

I preached PRAISE GOD!!

I preached today. This was my first time ever preaching in a formal setting. The only other time I ever had to preach was at Harbo(u)r Light, and our two minutes of preaching and thirty seconds of prep with Steve-o. This went wonderfully though. I did have a bit of a glitch at first, because I figured me talking alone would be enough and I wouldn’t need a headset to the sound system. No one could hear me in the back. So I looked around the chapel a bit for a head set. I didn’t really know were they were and I made that apparent, so Danny brought me a Cordless microphone. Praise the Lord for Danny Larcombe. The Holy Spirit did an amazing job with me then. I was able to get my point across to everyone without stumbling over my words every few seconds and I didn’t try to be anyone but Travis. That’s good stuff. I didn’t end it the way I had planned it partially because I forgot but it went okay. I did a Forest Gump ending by saying “That’s all I got to say about that. I then did the always popular Michael Collins patented (actually Paul did it first) Ephesians 3:17-18 apostolic prayer (benediction) over everyone. I did get some good feedback from a few people in the congregation. According to John Giron there were a few times when I sounded like my Dad. WOW. How weird is that?? Not…weird at all…actually. It was a very good Sunday Service followed by VBS prep and then a nap.

That night I watched a show on the Discovery Channel called the Greatest American Ever. They went all over America getting people to vote for whom they thought should be the greatest American (Only in America would we vote for the greatest). Ronald Regan was number one, Abraham Lincoln was number two, Martin Luther King Jr. was number three, George Washington was number 4, and Benjamin Franklin was number 5. I was okay with the top five. What I wasn’t okay with was that Oprah Winfrey, Dr. Phil Brett Favre, Ellen Degeneress, and Michael Jackson made the list. What have they done to be great? Those places could have been saved for Davey Crocket, Daniel Boone, Norman Rockwell, Louis Armstrong (a.k.a. Sachmo), and Walt Whitman. Put people on who have actually made some contribution to the foundation of America or the arts, not people who tell over weight people how feel good about themselves or people who show that even when you have so much plastic surgery you should be on Planet of the Apes you can still be famous. It was absolutely absurd and ridiculous that those people were even nominated. I would have pitched a fit if either of them had won. Just them being on there was obscene and so degrading to me.

1 comment:

Aurora said...

You actually LEFT the room, Travis! It was hilARious! But seriously, it was!
Although I do have to disagree with you on the Oprah bit...she is quite the generous lady, and has upped the ante on celebrities giving back to society, and celebrating victories with people who normally wouldn't make "newsworthy" stories. With her, you get that everybody has a story to share, something that God's been really big on me about lately.